Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th and another birthday

Happy 4th of July! When I was a little girl the 4th of July always meant a picnic with my grandma Dibble....my dad's mom. July 4th was her birthday. She was born in 1908. She's been gone since 1997. Where did that time go?
This is a picture of her with my grandpa and my dad. I think that it was taken on Easter in the spring of 1932. She's wearing her wedding dress and they are standing in front of the home where she grew up....which is also the house where I grew up. Aren't they dapper?

This picture of me sitting on her lap was probably taken on her birthday in 1962....her sister and brother-in-law Henrietta and Dan are standing behind us with their daughter Diane. My grandma always looked the same to me... from the time I was a little girl....

...to the day I got married....she looked the same. I love this picture of her from my wedding day, she looks so happy....and so dressed up!

My grandma loved babies and little ones. She had a way about her that would make you feel so important and useful....we always wanted to help with chores because it was so fun! From shelling corn to feed the chickens to gathering eggs, to bringing in snow to melt in the reservoir of the wood stove, every little thing we did she made us feel like it was big. She would light up when she got to see her grand kids. She called Brian her little dolly.

One of the best things about the farm were the raspberries. She had so many bushes! The biggest juiciest berries were down low, where the dogs had paths under the bushes because it was cool. Grandma left those for us to pick. She insisted on picking until she had to move into the nursing home. She could barely walk, but she could pick berries.

Brian getting sweet kisses from his great-grandma. July 4th will always be her day.

Last year for the 4th we went to one of the neighbors houses up in the country...they put on quite the fireworks display. I'll end my post with a few shots of those fireworks.

I hope that you've spent your holiday surrounded by family and friends....

...because the ooohs and aaaaahs of fireworks just aren't the same if you don't have someone to share them with.

Happy 4th of July everyone! And happy birthday to grandma....the raspberries should be getting ripe soon!



No comments: