Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Flag

Our plans for yesterday sort of fell through...changing winds, changing minds, changing moods, changing plans...I think that there might be a couple of teenagers in my house. So my plans for taking pictures of our day changed right along with it. By supper time, I was a little weary of all the changes...so we left Billy in charge of a frozen pizza for the boys while Eric and I went out for dinner. Ahhhhhhhh. It was just what I needed after spending another spring break day at home.


I had grabbed my camera, thinking that there might be something, somewhere that I could take a picture of for my 365 pictures this year. I wasn't very hopeful...but then I spotted it. This big flag blowing in the breeze with the evening sun hitting it. Bright and beautiful.

This flag flies over a car sales lot. The wires bugged me at first. The lights in the background bugged me too. But now that I think about it a little more today, I think that the lights and the wires say something too. I think that it's good that the flag is flying in an industrial area. It shows a little bit about what America is about....or was about. Some days I'm not so sure anymore.

After dinner we drove closer to the flag so I could get a shot without the wires. The sun was lower, the colors were softer...I thought that it was a beautiful sight too. But then I started thinking, isn't it just plain wrong that they aren't saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school anymore? Is it right that something that is such a part of where our country came from is taken away because it might offend someone? Doesn't it just lead to more lack of respect for our Country? Then I started wondering if the boys even knew the Pledge of Allegiance...then I wondered what kind of parent and citizen am I that I don't even know if my own children know it. Then I started thinking that I had better find out whether they know it or not. You see, when I start thinking you just never know where it will end up....and no, wine was not consumed with dinner. :-)

When we got home I asked Billy if he was taught the Pledge of Allegiance in grade school...he didn't remember. What?? I knew it!! Then he said that he didn't remember when it was taught, but that they say it every Monday at school. Oh. Brian too...only they say it on Wednesdays. Double oh. Heh, heh. I'm relieved...but also puzzled at where I got the idea that they weren't allowed to say it in school anymore. I was feeling sort indignant about the whole thing. Misinformed indignation ~ probably the cause of more problems than any of us can imagine. And all it took were a couple of quick questions to clear it all up....that and a willingness to admit that I didn't know. Hmmm. That's a can of worms I don't think I'll open today.

I feel better now. OK...stand up straight, hands on heart and say it with me.....

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

....don't you feel better now too?
So, off my high horse...which was really just a little pony....and on to my backyard. I looked outside this morning and what did I see? My pretty little bird feeder pole bent down to the ground! What in the world happened? Was it a bear? Not likely here in the suburbs. A fat raccoon? Most likely. Unless, maybe, just maybe....it was....

...that darned gargoyle squirrel. I think that he reached right up and bent my pretty little pole down just to score some sunflower seeds. I told you they were scary!



No comments: