Thursday, August 20, 2009

Orioles Game

After our scenic tour on the Sky Line drive in Virginia, we headed back towards Washington DC. We took quick stop at Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum-Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, then hit the road for Baltimore, MD to catch an Orioles game.

It was a beautiful, warm evening. Perfect for outdoor baseball. Oriole Park at Camden Yards is a really nice baseball only stadium. The Orioles were playing the Angels. The Angels were having a tough night.

Watching the sun set behind the stadium had me thinking about the new Twins stadium that will open next year. I love outdoor baseball....but I've been thinking that an outdoor stadium without some sort of retractable roof in Minnesota was a mistake. After seeing this game, I think I've changed my tune. I don't know how they could put a roof on it and make it still feel like it's outdoors.

The Oriole was happy to be outside. We were in "Birdland".

We were happy to be outside. There was an overhang above us that would have protected us from the weather if there was any...but it still felt like we were outside.

Doesn't the Oriole just look happy? I think that the Twins Bear will be happy to be outside too. Why do we have a bear for a mascot?

See the guy on 3rd base? That's Felix Pie. He just had hit a triple.

It was pretty exciting because of this....

The cycle. Single, double, triple, and home run. Cool.

I loved the clock at the stadium. And their big screen...such a clear picture. The game was over a little after 10 o'clock.

After about a 10 minute wait, it was time for real fireworks!

Fireworks in the stadium to music.

Boom, bang, ahhhhh.......

...it was a nice long display.

Try doing that in a dome! Orioles won 16 to 6. In birdland.


No comments: