Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The County Fair

We headed over to the Polk County Fair last weekend. It was always sort of a big event when I was a kid...and even though the Fair has grown, it doesn't seem nearly as big as it used to.

When we got there the 4-H horse competition was just wrapping up. I wanted to wander over, but we were meeting Eric's folks and running late, so didn't take the time. I think I would have liked being in 4-H when I was young, but the only 4-H leader in the area at the time seemed sort of scary to me so I never joined. I think that it was the moustache. Women just shouldn't have them, that's all.

There were quite a few people on horseback directing traffic. Look at this big black boy...he was enormous! I wanted to give him a hug...but we were running late....and his rider probably would have thought I was crazy.

There are a lot of things at a County Fair. Clomp, clomp horses. Clomp, clomp cloggers. This group performed for a long time. We only watched for a short time. There were corn dogs to find and mini donuts to conquer!

Oh...the Yummy shop...now that sounds promising doesn't it?

Trouble is, if you eat too much at the County Fair, you start to look like you've spent a lot of time eating at a County Fair. This picture makes me smile every time I look at it. That's all I'm going to say about that!

There were quite a few animals at the fair. Some sheep....

...some milkers...oh my....poor girls.

There were even some Alpaca. Isn't this one cute?

And this one, with such big brown eyes. He looks so soft and sweet.

Oh and this older one, he certainly looks dignified don't you think? Hello Mr. Alpaca...could you look over here and give me a smile?

Oh dear!! EEK! Ummm.... smile...say "cheese". Can I take that dignified comment back?

Billy talked us into parting with some money on carnival games. Come on Mom, it's fun! He cashed in two small prizes for an orange and black striped shark. I guess it's a tiger shark. Silly kid. But fun to see him being a kid. He carried his prize around for the rest of the evening....and I didn't get a picture of it.

We stayed long enough to see the pretty lights, then decided that it was time to head back to the cabin.

Even though it seemed smaller than it used to be, we had lots of fun at the County Fair!


No comments: