Monday, February 9, 2009

Winter Birds

One of my favorite things to do while visiting the farm is bird watching. The number and variety of birds at my Mom's feeder is amazing. The birds that are there seem to be oblivious to people...which makes it pretty easy to take photos of them. The picture below is a Gold Finch in the morning light.
Some more Gold Finch...male on top of arc, female in the background. The birds that come to my feeder in the suburbs are a lot more skittish than the country birds. That seems backwards to me.
Wouldn't you think that the city birds would be more accustomed to people and less skittish? The bird in the picture below is a Flicker...one of many types of woodpeckers that come to visit. Isn't he cute?
Maybe the city birds are less trusting because they've dealt with more people in their little bird lives. More Gold Finches.
Sort of like some city people being more guarded and wary of others because they've had to be. A Chickadee feeding on some suet.
Country people and country birds haven't had to deal with the dangers that can be found in the big city. This is a Redpoll...part of the Finch family. Little, but fluffy....and cute.
So they aren't as wary. Chickadee.
Maybe. But what do I know. I'm just rambling. Chickadee.
All I know is that I like looking at the birds. And taking pictures of the birds. And they don't seem to mind at all.
Well...except this one. He looks a little perturbed. Can't a bird eat in peace around here lady? Nothing like a Chickadee with attitude to bring a smile to your day. :-)


No comments: