Thursday, February 26, 2009

What can you count on?

Some people say that the only thing you can count on in life are death and taxes. Might be true, but it seems like a pretty bleak way to look at things to me. I took a quick overnight trip to the farm last night to help my Mom try to deal with both those things. It was pretty bleak. My Dad always did the taxes. Now, at 77 years old, my Mom is trying to figure out just what it was that he did....especially with the farm taxes. I'd be in the same boat...I don't know nuthin' about paying the taxes. I guess that I should learn...

...but I'd rather not. Death and taxes aren't the things I count on, or want to think about. What I count on is the sun setting every evening.

Some days the sunsets are better than others, but the sun still sets. This was last night.

I count on God and count on my faith to help me through the tough times and to celebrate with during the good times.
Just at little side note...this is the oldest Methodist Church that is still active in Minnesota. The structure was built in 1861...but the church was established in 1859 and is celebrating it's Sesquicentennial this year. It's a beautifully simple historic little church.

Back to the counting. I also count on the sun to rise each and every day. Just like sunsets, some sunrises are prettier than others. This was this morning.

One thing that you can't always count on are weathermen. :-) For weather I usually count on the old saying "red at night sailors delight, red in the morning sailors take warning." But...what does it mean when it is red at night and red in the morning? Hmmmm....it means that you should listen to the weatherman. I was eager to hit the road this morning and get back home before the snowstorm hit. They said that the snow would start in the western suburbs at 10:00 a.m. It was about 10:30 when it started. Close enough for me.
I was out here long enough to sit down and take this picture...my jeans were already turning white with snow!

The birds were busy loading up to prepare for the storm.

They were so intent on eating that they didn't even scatter when I opened the door to take a picture.
They were predicting an inch an hour at times. I believe it! I saw one forecast that called for snow and freezing fog. Have you ever heard of freezing fog?? I hadn't.

Oh...I almost forgot. One other thing that I can always count on is that if the dog is in, she wants to go out, and if she's out, she wants to come in.

I can't say that I blame her today!


No comments: