Monday, January 12, 2009

Sledding and Photo 11

Day 11 Photo ~ Czar checking out the the crazy humans from a safe distance. Did you know that there are only two things that horses are afraid of? They are only afraid of things that are moving and things that are staying still. Really, it's true.
When I was a kid I never gave it a 2nd thought that kids couldn't walk out their front door and find a thousand fun things that could keep them occupied. Boredom, what's that? Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone...or at least until you aren't there to enjoy it every day. I'm glad that my boys are lucky enough to get to see how some things were when I grew up. And they are much more aware of how great it is than I was. Here's a little glimpse of our weekend fun at the farm.
The horses are quick to notice when someone comes out of the house. I like to think that they are happy to see me...but I know that what they are really thinking is humans = food. Food is important when you are a horse....because you can eat like one and it's OK.
The boys wanted to have an outdoor adventure. We went through a different gate on the other side of the barn, but those pesky, hungry horses found us. Can't you just hear them..."What are those flat saucer like things you boys have, food trays for us??" "Oh Boy...food!" "Hay, what are they doing jumping in our food pans?" "Yikes, scary humans!"
We are out of here!! Ha.
You see, the boys didn't actually have food pans, they had sleds. The farm has great hills...and snow....right out the front door.
Brian's getting ready.
He likes to take a flying start.
Big jump, here he comes!
Oh...it's sort of cold. Well, really cold. and fast.
LOOK OUT MOM!
I'm OK. Whew, all his limbs are still attached. That was fun. Well, maybe not for Mom!
Oh oh, here comes Billy. I think he's checking to see if his brother made it OK.
Here I come!
Oh...this is SO fun....
...aaahhhh.......wwweeeeeee.....
....whoa. That was awesome!
What are those crazy humans doing? Where's my food??
Unlike horses, dogs think sledding is fun! They like humans just because that's what dogs do.
The climb back to the top of the hill is almost as long and hard as it was nearly 40 years ago....but there was more snow then, and it was colder, and the hill was steeper....really. But when you can make the trip with your brother and your dog it can't be too bad.
"I'm freezing, do you think Grandma will have hot chocolate for us?"
Who could resist smiles like that?
And if you stay in the country long enough, you might even be treated to this....


No comments: