Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mr. Science

It's cold, really cold. So what should we do...hibernate? Maybe. Nah...how about a science experiment? OK!
I saw this experiment on TV this morning and wanted to see if it really worked. I needed an assistant so I called Eric at work and said: "Hey baby, wanna come home for lunch? There's something new I want to try..." He rushed right home. Hah!! No, I didn't say that...this isn't that kind of blog...whew. Start over. Eric came home for lunch and agreed to be my assistant. Our experiment was to see what would happen if we threw a boiling cup of hot water into the air on a really cold day. When they did it this morning on TV it was -20 degrees. It had warmed up to -12, so we weren't sure that it would work. Let's give it a try. Here's my assistant with a cup of boiling hot water. He looks skeptical...or maybe just cold. He tosses the cup of water into the air...
...it instantly evaporates into a puff of steam.
How cool was that? Can we do it again?? Please??? Oh good, he agreed. Another cup of water...
...ready to toss it into the air. Umm...he isn't looking right at me is he?
He isn't looking at me with an evil grin is he? He wouldn't, would he?
Oh no...he would! He's going to douse me with a cup of boiling water! What did I do to him besides tease him into coming home and then drag him outside for a silly experiment??
Geez...I had said please....oh......Help!
Whew...it was just a cloud of steam. Hmmm, I think I love really cold days after all.
And look at that evil grin...I think I love him too. :-)

2 comments:

Eric Y said...

If you are Pat Nye the Science Gal, does that make me the giant rat assistant? :-)

Thanks for the unigue lunch... that was a first!

Eric

Pat said...

Yes, you are a giant rat!