Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Wolf Moon

Did you happen to see the giant full moon over the weekend? It was beautiful! These first 4 pictures were taken on Friday night on our way to the rodeo.

We picked up Brian's friend, turned the corner by her house and saw this! Stop...please!! We did. I took a couple of shots....then we continued on.

Just as we got on our way, we realized that the tickets were still at home. Oops. We turned around, Eric ran inside the house to get the tickets, and I took a couple more shots of the moon.

Isn't it pretty? The full moon in January is called the wolf moon. They think it's because the January moon is so bright in the cold, clear sky that the wolves are more apt to howl at it. ooowOOOwooo.

The moon wasn't even full in those pictures. I took some more on Saturday night, when it really was full. I read an article that said this moon was the biggest looking one that we will see this year....something about it's orbit being an ellipse and the full moon being closest to the earth at this point in the ellipse....making the moon look bigger. I don't know about all that, I just know that it looked cool.
I was at the farm on Saturday night, away from the city lights. Here is the moon at the horizon behind a bunch of trees....
....a little higher.....

...and then just a few little branches on the bottom. The moon was orange as it came up, getting whiter as it rose. I always think of this little song when I see the moon....

I see the moon and the moon sees me
And the moon sees the one that I long to see.
So God bless the moon and God bless me
and God bless the one that I long to see.
It seems to me that God above
created you for me to love.
He picked you out of all the rest
because he knew I loved you the best.
I once had a heart called mine you see,
but now it's gone to you from me.
So take good care as I have done
for you have two and I have none.
I see the moon and the moon sees me
And the moon sees the one that long to see.
So God bless the moon and God bless me
And God bless the one that I long to see.

As the moon rose, some clouds moved in....but the moon was so bright it shined right through the clouds. There was an eerie halo surrounding the moon. I snapped a couple of pictures to see if I could capture it. I didn't, but this one sure turned out crazy!
I'm not sure where all the light on the tree was coming from, some sort of reflection I guess...but it was a little creepy....and when I listened really closely I'm pretty sure I heard the ooowOOOwooo of wolves howling. Shiver. Time to go back inside!


No comments: