I don't know much about politics or the economy or the jobless rate or official indicators of the recession turning around or not....but I do know that I've been busier designing banners this year than I was last year....and that seems like a good sign to me.
Yesterday afternoon a job came in to do a banner with rosemaling on it. Rosemaling is a painting technique that originated in Norway. That was a first! The customer had sent a picture of some rosemaling they had on signs around their town...and it was my job to re-create some of it so that it could be screen printed on Welcome banners for the town.
It was sort of fun, but it was pretty tedious. I place the image in Adobe Illustrator and bit by bit redraw all of the parts. Since it is being drawn to be screen printed, the number of colors we use is limited. Each color adds a screen which mean more $$. The one I did for the client only had three colors, black, white and red on a blue banner. I added the yellow and green for this example. I like how it turned out....hopefully the client will too!