Saturday, January 16, 2010

Angel of the Heart

I love these little statues that are made by Willow Tree. I have a few of them. This is my newest one, she is called the Angel of the Heart. She's sitting on the top of the shelf that surrounds my computer. Angel of the Heart. Is she also a protector of the Heart? Whose is she protecting? Hers or the ones that surround her?

My heart is feeling a little sad and fragile today. I won't say why, but I will say that I like to think that there is an angel holding it close. Feelings and hearts can be hurt so easily, it's so important to remember to take care with the hearts of others and treat them with kindness. I remember when the boys were in preschool, they were trying to teach the kids how important it was to be kind to each other. They each cut out a paper heart, and then talked about hurtful things that people sometimes do to each other. They said that hurtful things damaged the heart...like a wrinkle in the paper. Each time an example of a hurtful thing was given, the kids were instructed to wrinkle up their paper heart a little bit more. Example after example, wrinkle after wrinkle. Pretty soon the paper hearts were just a wadded up and broken. The teachers then asked the kids how they could make it better. Some said to apologize, some said to try to be nicer. With each example of how the problem could be fixed the wrinkles in the heart were smoothed out a little bit more.

But in the end, even though they tried and tried to smooth out those wrinkles, the hearts were never quite the same. Just like ours. The little hurts can add up and the person that's been hurt is never quite the same. It was such a wonderful example for those little souls to take in. I'm grateful to those amazing teachers from all those years ago for teaching me how to teach my boys and I'm grateful to have an angel of the heart looking over me to remind me to take care with others.
That's all.

No comments: