Friday, November 20, 2009

Pelicans

I've been back from the girls weekend in Florida for a few days now, but it took until today to find the time to look through some of the pictures that I took. It is wonderful to get away, catching up when you get back isn't so easy!

One of the neat things about being in Florida were the birds. The sea gulls, the Heron, the little long legged birds on the beach, and the pelicans! The pelicans were cool.

The were big and gawky and graceful all at the same time. They sat on sand bars....

...they perched on posts....

....and they soared around looking for food.

When ever I see a pelican I think of the poem by Dixon Lanier Merritt...written in 1910. Have you heard it?
"A wonderful bird is the pelican....

His bill will hold more than his belican....

He can take in his beak....

Food enough for a week...

But I'm damned if I can see how the helican."

Pelicans...all I can say is that they are cool looking birds.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks