Thursday, November 19, 2009

Painting Class

Earlier this Fall I signed up for a beginners water color class. I'm not sure why exactly, but I thought that it would be good for me to do something creative with my hands rather than just on the computer. The first week we were sent home with a supply list. Yikes! I didn't realize how expensive water color paints are. I decided that I had better like what I was doing...whether I really liked it or not. Our first project was this painting of poppies. After I was done I wished that I had taken more time with the drawing part. Oh well.

The next project was a painting of birch trees in the winter. We are learning new techniques with each painting. The bark on this one was done with a piece of a cut up credit card, sort of flicking the paint across the tree to show the bark. I think I'll stick to using a brush. Not having enough control of the paint is hard for me to get used to.

Our last painting was of the "split rock lighthouse" on lake Superior. Again, learning new techniques along the way. Funny how when you take a picture of something and shrink it down you can see all the mistakes! I thought that the water line was straight when I painted it!
This last painting was done simply to put a lot of paint on the paper quickly, using a lot of paint and not very much water. Lots to learn, lots of mistakes to make....

...but it's been fun. And without having a class to go to I don't think I'd find the time to take out my paints....so I'm thinking about signing up for part two.....besides, if I don't, what would I do with all that paint? Oye.




No comments: