Saturday, October 11, 2014

Lunar Eclipse

Could you see the October 8th Lunar Eclipse in your neck of the woods?  We had a crisp, cool cloudless night here in Minnesota to watch in wonder as the shadow of the earth covered up the moon and turned it red.

I took this picture late on Tuesday night after my volleyball game.  I wanted to get my camera set up with the right lens etc. before the eclipse started.


I got up at 4:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning to watch the eclipse.  It was going to be low in the sky when it finished, so I headed over to the soccer fields to get a good look at it.  Eric got up with me, I don't think he liked the idea of me sitting outside at a park in the middle of the night!  I was so glad that he joined me!  Here is the start of the eclipse.


The moon was gradually covered with the earth shadow until it turned red.  The blood red moon.  It was pretty fun to see.  Eric had missed the one in April, I think he was glad that he got to see this one.  It stayed red for almost an hour.  A very cold, windy hour!  I was glad that I had my winter coat, boots and gloves on.


And then before I knew it, as the moon was getting closer to the horizon and the shadow was dropping down....all as the sun was coming up behind us.


There is something special about being outside as the sun comes up.  Add an eclipse of the moon to that and you know you are witnessing something really wonderful.


Daylight, moonlight and beautiful trees all at once.  It was pitch dark when I set up in my spot to take photos, I should have planned ahead and found a place that wasn't littered with soccer goals!  But I guess they will always remind me of where I was when I was taking the pictures.


Here's a composite photo of the eclipse, for those of you that were snug in your warm beds while I was freezing my rear off!  It took me the whole day to warm up.  But I think it was worth it.


I hope do too!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: