Friday, October 10, 2014

Flowers and Leaves

The colors of Autumn in flowers and leaves.  I don't have much to say, so I'll share one of my favorite Greg Brown songs with you instead.

"Wash My Eyes"

Wash my eyes that I may see
Yellow return to the willow tree


Open my ears that I may hear
The river running swift and clear


And please
wash my eyes


And please
open my ears


Wash this world that is one place
And wears a mad and fearful face


Let the cruel raging cease
Let these children sleep in peace


And please 
wash this world


And please
Let these children


Sleep in peace.


Words that are as meaningful now as they were when the song was released in 1988.  Sung by Greg Brown on his One More Goodnight Kiss CD.


Some artists have a way of speaking volumes with just a few words.  Greg Brown has always been that sort of artist to me.


He has a song with the lines "A long slow seduction on an Autumn night - when Autumn was still Autumn."  



His lyrics can usually mean a number of things...but that song pops into my head every time I hear the word Autumn.  I would rather call the season Autumn than Fall.


The name Autumn just seems to encompass more than Fall.


I wonder why the other seasons don't have second names.


Maybe it's because Winter is just cold.  Spring brings hope that summer is on it's way and summer doesn't need another name.


But Fall...or Autumn...is a time of Thanksgiving.  A time of Harvest.  A time when the true colors and the beauty of the land come shining through.


The last fading blossoms of summer.  The fleeting bursts of color in the leaves. Bright red apples on the trees and hot cider on the stove top.  Maybe we appreciate the days and the beauty more because we know that winter is just ahead.  I don't know.


But I do know, whether you call it Fall or Autumn, I love the season.  And I guess I had more to say than I thought. :-)  Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: