Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Word of the Year

Last year, sometime in February, I heard about the idea of selecting a word for the to guide me for the year on rather than making a New Year's resolution. The idea came from Christine Kane...you can read more about it here: http://christinekane.com/blog/resolution-revolution-a-better-way-to-start-your-year/

My word for last year was "Accomplish". It worked for a little bit, but not as well as I had hoped. I was going to pick the same word for this year....because I still want to accomplish things...but since that word didn't really work for me I'm picking a new one. Part of the problem with the word "accomplish" for me was that it was just too big. I had things to do, but if I couldn't finish things I wouldn't start them. Or if I started them I'd lose focus, get distracted, and then not get back to what I was doing.

My second thought for a word for the year was "health". I want to get in better shape, live better, like most people resolve to do in the new year....but I didn't want that to be my only focus.

Then I thought maybe I should focus on "gratitude" this year. But I already am....and I really want to add another good thing to my life.

Another thing I want to focus on this year is taking better pictures. I was thinking about this and a bunch of other stuff when my word for the year jumped out at me and made itself known. It feels right, it feels good....my word for this year is: Focus.

Focus. A perfect word for someone like me that works from home, that has too many distractions everyday that keep me from accomplishing things. I will use it to focus on the tasks at hand, focus on accomplishing what I need to do, focus on getting more design business, focus on my health, focus on gratitude, and focus on taking better pictures (Ha!)

Penny is thinking that I should focus on her everyday all the time....she is one of my distractions during the day....

...but that's ok. A few distractions are good...as long as I can direct my focus back to what I was doing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gratitude:
01-01-11 ~ I am thankful for getting together with an old friend that feels like family.
01-02-11 ~ I am thankful for a quiet Sunday afternoon.
~~~~~~~~~~
2011 is going to be a good year. I can feel it. I can focus on it. Wishing you a wonderful 2011 too.

No comments: