Friday, January 3, 2014

Too Cold!

Winters are long and cold in Minnesota, but this one has been particularly bad!  I know that it doesn't do a bit of good to complain about the weather, but sometimes that's all we are left to do...we can't change it!  They are predicting the windchill temperature to be around -60 degrees F between Sunday and Monday.  The governor has canceled school throughout the State for Monday.  That doesn't happen very often.  Thank goodness!

So what do we do when it's so cold??  Well, one thing is to freeze snow globes in our unheated 3 season porch.  Balloons filled with water and set into a glass bowl.  Put them on the porch over night when the temps are -10 degrees and in the morning you'll have the coldest balls of ice imaginable!  They weren't completely frozen through, but when I dumped out the parts that were water, ice crystals formed instantly.  It was pretty amazing.  Anyway, a metal measuring cup full of very hot water pressed on the top of the ball melted nice smooth circles for an opening.  A candle inside...and ta da...snow globes.  They are now solidly frozen to my front step, so they'll be there for a while!


What else do we do when it's cold?  Go to a building full of ice of course!  The Minnesota Wild had a home game and they were giving out bobble heads to the first 5000 people there.  I didn't think that we'd be early enough...but we were!  Yay!  And the team won!  Double score.


 But when the temps get as cold as they've been...the best bet is to just stay inside.  Where it's warm and safe.  I try not to notice the daily weather warnings on my phone.  I try not to look at the 10 day forecast that continues to tell me what I don't want to hear.  It's getting to be pretty depressing.  And then I see reports that it's over 120 degrees in Australia.  What's up with that?


You'd think we'd be able to trade some air with them and even things up a bit.  Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy?  Oh well, I guess I'll go and make some hot chocolate and start thinking about Spring.  I hope that the weather is more tolerable in your neck of the woods!



No comments: