Monday, May 10, 2010

Strange Bird

There are a lot of beautiful birds at the farm. Ordinary sparrows, songbirds, woodpeckers, orioles, chickadees, nuthatches, bright yellow birds like this gold finch.

But sometimes....if you notice the horses staring intently at something off in the distance like this...

...you might just want to take a closer look. You might just spot something like this Sand Hill Crane.

There he was, just strutting along in the horse pasture. Crazy! He didn't seem to have any particular place to go, just was wandering around, checking things out.

Sand Hill Cranes are tall! This one was at least 3.5' tall. We didn't see it fly, but I read that their wingspans can be from 6' to 8 feet across. That would leave a shadow like an airplane I bet! I also read that the Sand Hill Crane is one of the oldest known birds...they've found fossils from over 2.5 million years ago.

We were on our way to lunch, but had to stop along the side of the road and snap a few pictures of this crazy bird.

After lunch my mom and I were working in her kitchen when she spotted some more strange birds outside the window.

I snuck out the door and snapped some pictures from her porch....Wild Turkeys. They aren't small either! If you look in the lower left corner of the picture you'll see a robin. That should give you an idea of the size of these turkeys.

The turkeys were pretty uncommon for a long time, they've made a big comeback in the last 10 years or so. Gobble gobble. I think I'd rather have a store bought, cleaned and plucked one for my table.

Oh wait...what's over there...another bird? No, that's just my buddy Czar.

"Hey human....would you quit looking at those birds and come over and feed me? Horses need lovin' too ya know." That Czar, he's a strange bird too.




No comments: