Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Junior Prom

Last Saturday was a busy day. Brian had his Junior prom and my nephew graduated from college. Both milestones in their own way. We had hoped to be able to attend the graduation, but with prom preparations and pictures we felt like we needed to be here. It turned out that after the prom pictures we were able to drive the 1.5 hours to Mankato and join my brothers family for the graduation celebration. We were happy to be able to be a part of things there too.

Here are some of the prom pictures. After a lot of ironing and lint brushing on my part, and car cleaning, vacuuming and washing on Eric and Brian's part, it was time for him to get ready for the big night. This is Brian tying his own tie....with Eric lending advice. Too long, too short...I am so glad that my husband knows how to tie a tie, I sure couldn't do it.

Then it was time to grab the corsage and head over to pick up his date. Too cool.

Sarah looked so pretty with her beautiful dress and fancy hair. Here they are exchanging flowers.

The pinning of the boutonniere....she was so careful not to stick him with the pin. Her dad volunteered to get the power stapler. It was funny.

So dressed up, so grown up!

They went outside for a few more pictures. It was a cool and cloudy day.

Sarah's high heeled sandals were sinking into the sod by this time...but she smiled through it all.

It's sort of hard to see my first born so grown up. It was sort of hard to hand him the keys to drive off to a special dance with a special girl.

But it's a lot easier since I know that he's such a good kid. And know that he'll be careful and safe.

I'm sure that it was hard for Sarah's mom and dad to watch their little girl, the baby of their family, get all dressed up and head out on the town with this grown up boy. But they know she's a good kid....and I think they realize that he's a pretty good kid, that he'd get their daughter home safe and sound.

It seems as though every stage of their lives gives us something new to worry about...

...but when I start to worry I remember a quote by Dr. Jonas Salk.
He said, "Good parents give their children Roots and Wings. Roots to know where home is, wings to fly away and exercise what's been taught them."
Then I worry about whether or not we've taught them enough. Worrying, it's my job as a mom.
After Brian and Sarah went on their way, we went to my nephew's graduation party. Somehow I didn't get a picture of the graduate, Isaac, but Eric snapped this picture of my mom, my niece, and me holding baby Avery. Four generations of Dibble girls. Little Avery is going to have some good roots....she's got a good momma.

Speaking of roots....seeing Brian all dressed up in his suit had me thinking about my dad. I know that peoples looks change through out their lives, but at this moment in time, I think that Brian is looking a bit like my dad did at that age. Here is my dad's senior picture (I did reverse the picture of my dad so they are looking the same direction) along side of one of the pictures I took of Brian on Saturday. What do you think?

Roots and wings....my folks gave them to me and I'm doing my best to give them to my boys....what a beautiful gift to pass on and on.



No comments: