Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spring has Sprung!

Spring has sprung around here, about a month early. At first it seemed like a fluke...the snow and frost were certain to return....but now I'd have to say it's here. Here's some pictures from the last 10 days to prove it. The flowering trees are blooming like crazy!

Billy and his buddy Ryan have been riding their bikes to school most of the time. This picture was taken after school at their "quidditch" match. It's a take off from the game on the Harry Potter movies and involves running around with brooms between their legs. I don't quite get it. They broke my good broom, that's all I know about that.

The same tree blossoming on a different day. So many blossoms!

At the Twins game, outside, green grass...it must be spring. How will it be next year if the weather returns to normal? Snowy? Will T.C. Bear need long underwear? Oh wait, he's a bear, he won't come out of hibernation until it's warm enough.

Dandelions. A sure sign of spring. The trouble with this early and very long spring is that I feel so, so far behind. It feels like I should be digging around in the flower garden. It feels like I should have the window boxes planted. It feels like I should have the annuals in place....

....but it's not even May 1st yet. So I'm not really behind....it just feels like it. Well, the lawn needs mowing for a second time, so maybe I am behind.

It would be tough to be a farmer this year....well....most years....but this year especially. It would be so, so tempting to get things in the ground early. But how big of a risk can they take? A late frost for farmers is pretty costly. It's not like they can just go out and throw a sheet or two over their plants. But if I feel far behind, it must be many times worse for them. My dad used to say, "I'm so far behind, I'm almost caught up." Which doesn't make sense unless you depend on the seasons and are a whole year behind....like me with my spring cleaning.

Did you notice the full moon the other day? I have a friend that works at a nursing home and said that she tries to stay off the work schedule when the moon is full....she said really strange things happen during the full moon. She also said that it's one of those things that everyone knows but no one talks about. Weird. But I believe it.

Here are my pretty pink tulips....they still look mostly yellow to me....but that's ok.

In my last post I mentioned we had our first co-rec softball games....a double header on Monday night. On Tuesday night we had our first women's game. It's Thursday now, and I'm starting to think I might be able to walk normally again by tomorrow. Can you say STIFF? Ugh. Old age isn't pretty.


But the nice thing about the warm days, this early spring and all the pretty flowers blooming is that when I am in the garden, stooped over and can't get up, I'll just pretend I'm down there to smell the flowers. All is good.


No comments: