Friday, April 16, 2010

Birds and Flowers and Stuff

I had to make a quick trip to the farm this week so the farrier could come and trim Skylar's hooves. Poor boys feet grow like weeds. I left here on Wednesday, early afternoon, just as the rain came. I think I drove in the heart of the storm the whole way there. Yuck. But I did see something cool along the way. One of the towns nearby is known for it's lakes and the fishing. Well, word must have gotten out to the Pelicans about the good fishing because there was a big flock of them in the lake!

I pulled over into a nearby parking lot and stood in the rain taking pictures....a few other cars stopped to look too. It was quite a sight!

I eventually made it to the farm, the rain was letting up a bit, but I still got wet waiting for the farrier. He was supposed to be there between 3:00 and 3:30. Which means if you have your horse caught and ready by 3:00 the farrier will come at 3:30. If you can't catch your horse or get delayed in some way, the farrier will come at 3:00. And if it's raining and you catch your horse right away, even if the farrier comes at 3:30 it will seem much later because it's raining. I'm not complaining, my farrier lives on a neighboring farm and is as nice as can be....it's just the laws of timing that complicate things.
After the hooves were trimmed and some coffee was drunk we looked out the kitchen window saw these....wild turkeys!
I snuck out the door and shot 'em....with my camera and zoom lens. I'm to much of a wimp to be a hunter.

I decided to spend the night and spend some time with my mom. The sunrise at the farm is different every morning. Yesterday it had been raining to start the day, but the soft colors were too pretty not to take a picture.

My mom's Virginia Blue Bells were blooming. Pretty blue on a gray day. We did some shopping and had some lunch and when we got back to the house my mom headed out.....

....she said, come on, let's check out the flowers across the road!

And off she went. Sometimes I just have to try to keep up!

It was worth the effort. The hepatica's were in full glory. There were a few that were blooming on Easter Sunday, but nothing like this.

There aren't any words that can say more than the pictures, so I'll just let them do the talking.












I took my pictures, my mom picked her bouquet, and then it was time to head out. There goes my mom on her bike...she's got a faithful parade of dogs following her every move.

I sort of like following her around too. You never know what you're going to see.


No comments: