Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Catching Up Yet Again

I went and got behind again. Somehow between working, softball, golf, baseball, my oldest graduating from High School and a darned graduation party I got behind. I've still been taking pictures though. This one was taken at night, after a softball game when I realized that I hadn't taken a photo all day.

I consider it as getting some practice using my flash. It had been 100 degrees and humid that day, might be a part of the reason I hadn't ventured out to take a picture.

The next day was crazy hot...and windy! The car thermometer read 104 degrees on my way to golf. Luckily there was a gale force wind to keep us alive. Someone compared the hot, windy day with a hair dryer blowing on us all day. Pretty much summed it up.

We had rented a cart that day and drove around the course. Since we were driving I took the camera with. The sunset was a welcome site that evening.

I normally take a picture of the boys next to the front door on their first and last days of school. Brian was running late and didn't have time. This was all that I got...his back as he headed for the bus. Last day of his senior year of High School. How in the world did that happen?

Billy had one extra day of school to finish up finals and stuff. He also had a baseball game that day. He likes to get dirty diving back to first.

He didn't get dirty enough that day, they lost their game. Oh well, it builds character.

First he has his last day of High School, then he goes and graduates. It's a lot for a mom to think about. Brian's graduation ceremony was held at Mariucci Arena at the University of Minnesota. Just over 800 kids graduated in a little over 2 hours.

Brian was happy, Billy was proud of his older brother, grandparents came down for the event and we all survived it. It was a good day.

We had a beautiful, warm Saturday that I spent inside cleaning the darned house. All the windows have been washed. I went through two bottles of window cleaner. I got to enjoy the beautiful day through my clean windows. Since then it has rained and rained and rained. Now all of my clean windows have spots.

Cleaning is not for the weak of heart.

I had a lot left to do, with the graduation party less than a week away, but I needed a break so I went to Billy's baseball game. It was the last game of the tournament that they were in that weekend. They played in the friendship game.

Our boys took it to 'em and won by a lot. Not sure what's so friendly about that. It sounds better than the losers bracket I guess.

I planted a lot of red and white flowers for the graduation party. The school colors are red, white and black. I'm more of a pink flower girl, but I'm liking the red more than I thought I would.

Another Tuesday, another golf night, but it was raining, raining, raining. I spend a lot of time dumping water out of my flower pots. Where is summer?

I used the break from golf to work on a slide show for Brian's party. And more cleaning. Things get undone faster than I can do them. I didn't train my boys very well I guess.

The sun came out long enough to get some outdoor painting done. Why do party's bring out the big urge to get those things you've been putting off for a long time done?

The list was longer than the days to do them....especially when the weather wouldn't co-operate.

The end of the week was slow for graphic design work, which was nice timing for me! Brian and I went to a little bit of Billy's baseball game, just to get out of the house.

Friday the 17th, one day until the party. Our mom's came down to help me get things ready. Help that I needed. I wasn't feeling nervous, just sort of over whelmed with how much stuff needed to be done.

There is nothing better than having help come in when you are feeling over whelmed. I was grateful.

Party day. The tent was arriving at 9:00 a.m. My friend Kris was coming at 12:00 o'clock to help with the last minute stuff. The forecast was iffy, 30 percent chance of rain. I kept telling myself that meant 70 percent chance that it wouldn't rain. It rained all day. Rained and rained and rained. I didn't get a picture of the tent or the decorations. I did get a picture of Brian with his cake...and this close up where the cake doesn't show.

Eric's folks brought a runner that saved my carpeting from getting soaked. People didn't use the tent very much, the ground was mushy from the 1" of rain that we had the night before. About 1/3 of the people I was expecting didn't show up...but in spite all of that, it was a really fun day. Fun to see old friends. Fun to see Brian interacting with people. Fun even though it rained. Worth the work. Now if my house will stay clean for a few days I will be really happy.

We had sent our dog to the farm for the day of the party. I'm glad that we did since it rained and rained and a wet dog would have added a little too much excitement for me. So on Sunday, Fathers Day and our 29th anniversary, Eric and I drove to the farm to get the dog. We stopped by and wished his dad a Happy Fathers day. Then we stopped at the cemetery and wished my dad one too. A quick visit with my brother and then my mom and we headed back home in time stop at a friends graduation party and then on to Billy's baseball game. Yikes.

It was a busy day...but it felt so nice to have the party behind us! The boys were playing for the tournament championship. They lost, but 2nd place isn't half bad.

Monday felt like the first day of the rest of the summer. Or something. I was tired, I slept late, I read for a while, I picked up some of the things that we had left outside from the party...because guess what, it was supposed to rain again. I wanted the graduation party to feel like an old fashioned picnic. Daisies and lilies in Ball jars on tables with 1950's style table clothes...and no photos from that day. Here are the flowers lined up on the railing to my back door.

Eric and Brian headed south to Winona to get Brian signed up for classes and to pick up his lap-top. That left us short a male softball player, so Billy filled in. His first time playing softball and the kid hits a grand slam home run. I'm not sure whose smile was bigger, his or mine.

The rain held out until after the softball game, and it really hasn't stopped for very long since. Eric and Brian made it home ok from Winona after driving through some heavy rain. Golf was cancelled again, but then the sun came out for an hour or so.

It's the 22nd of June and we've rarely seen a day warm up higher than in the 70's. Cold, wet, damp, rainy.... was cancelled for tonight because of the rain. But the Twins will be playing in I can snuggle up in my sweatshirt under a blanket and watch some baseball anyway.

And maybe make some hot chocolate. And dream about how it's summer, somewhere.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope that the sun is shining where you are!

No comments: