The rails are 8 ft. cedar 2x4's. The posts were set at just under 8' apart, but were adjusted depending on how wide or deep the property lines were. Anyway, what that meant was that each board was individually cut to fit the gap between specific posts.
It took some measuring...some precision cutting....and some thinking to get it just right.
After the boards were cut, Eric pre-drilled them so they wouldn't split when they were screwed onto the post. I was going to say "toe-nailed" to the post but he used screws and I didn't know what that would be called. "toe-screwed" didn't quite sound right. :-)
Like I said in yesterday's post...Eric is good at the precision stuff. I decided my job should be just to take pictures of this part. That and the big saw scares me.
I took a lot of pictures because Eric was pretty busy and I needed to look pretty busy too.
Here's another one of pre-drilling the holes.
After they were measured, cut, and pre-drilled, Eric lined them up in just the right spot and screwed them into the post.
He used an upright board to set the rail on to get it in the right spot and to hold it. That hunk of board was more reliable than me.
I think that I suggested that we just leave the fence like it was and call it a split rail. Eric wasn't buying it.
He puts up with my anyway.
Here, let me check.....that looks pretty good but that one board is bowing out.....
....get back behind the camera woman, I'm putting in this screw.