Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day

I'm a day late...but today's post is about Father's Day...a day to honor our Dads. It could have been a sad day, thinking about my dad being gone...but I've decided that Father's Day and my dad's birthday should be days to celebrate him and the man that he was. I miss him everyday, so why not reserve those special days for gratitude and joy to have been a part of this mans life.

When I was a little girl, my dad was larger than life. His big hands could do anything. The only thing bigger than his hands was his heart. Actually I believe that to this day.

No matter how tired he was, he had time for us.

My dad had confidence in me to let me try my wings....while he looked on.

He was there to give me away at my wedding. Looking back, I think it was harder on him that I ever realized. I'll never forget how carefully he put my long white dress in the back of the station wagon making sure it didn't get dirty or wrinkled....and how he held my veil while I brushed my hair before walking down the aisle.

My dad always listened when I talked to him....there was never a doubt that he cared about what I had to say.

He always made me feel like I could do anything I set my mind to...because that is what he believed. Here he is looking over my first performance review as a mechanical designer. He was interested, he was proud...and he didn't even has to say it.

He welcomed me home with a hug and a smile.

He took the time to make sure my family was a part of his world. This is Brian when he first started loving tractors....because of his grandpa.

He celebrated the simple pleasures...like his grandson proudly showing him his first pair of "farming boots".

He was a wonderful dad....but I think that he was an even better grandpa. He loved when the grand kids were involved in what he was doing in his world....

.... and he was quick to come into our world to be a part of what we were doing.

I am grateful for the time he and I had in Montana....

....and so grateful that when I asked him if he wanted to go with that his response was, "well, I'm not getting any younger." And the plans were in motion. I can't think of a more perfect way to have spent a full week with my dad.

My dad had a loyal following. This was one of his dogs...Alex....she adored him. So did Kelly, and Murphy, and my brother's dog Rusty, and Penny, and many more....dogs are a good judge of character you know.

Dad and I didn't ride together in the early years, but we sure had fun in the later years. The woods, the trails, the horses, the stories, the adventures, but most of all the time and the smiles we shared. Riding together is one of the things I miss the very most.

He gave us so much...the love, the support, the pride....

....the zest for living, teaching the importance of a good days work....

...being there to celebrate the big moments and the everyday moments....

...giving a pat on the back, a teasing comment....

....and most of all letting his love shine through with his laugh, his smile, and the twinkle in his eyes. How can I be sad on Father's Day when I know that I was the luckiest girl in the world to have been loved by a Dad like mine? I love you dad, Happy Father's Day.


No comments: