Friday, August 15, 2014

Back to the Flowers

We drove through the night on Sunday to get back from the baseball tournament in Dickinson, ND.  We both had work things that needed to be done.  But one of the first things that I did when we returned was take my photo of the day.  I knew that as soon as I downloaded the thousands of photos from our quick trip that the last thing I would want to do is take another photo.  It had rained while we were gone, the garden was green and lush.


I caught up with the work stuff, I took a nap, I downloaded the pictures and started sorting out the baseball ones to add to the team facebook page.  By Tuesday evening I never wanted to look at a photo again!  But I managed to take one from my cell phone while we were golfing in the ladies league.  This cute little bridge was nearly under water in the monsoon season of June.  Things are back to normal now.


It took me a few days to feel normal after our trip.  The older I get, the harder it is to recover after staying up all night.  Old people problems.


I've been happy to see butterflies in my garden.  I even left a few milk weeds for them to enjoy.  I'm sure that my neighbor isn't enjoying them nearly as much.


 Bee balm and cone flowers...both are doing great this year.  They are about 4 years old now, so that helps.  That and the fact that the rabbit population is down this year due to our little cat Greta!  She chases those rabbits right out of the yard!


We went to the farm / cabin the first weekend in August.  Billy had some fireworks that he wanted to shoot off for his friend Rachel.  They were spectacular!  Purchased in Wisconsin, they really packed some punch.


The next morning at the cabin was much more calm.  Such a beautiful and peaceful place.


There are a few day lilies that bloom there in the woods.  Such a punch of color among all that green.


Billy has had a fun summer with baseball and his friend Rachel.  He wanted to show her the cabin and the little town where he has spent so much of his time growing up.


I think that she liked it there.  They have a lot of fun together.  But summer is coming to an end, she's heading to a different college 6 hours away from where Billy will be.  Life as they know it is changing.

They knew that it was coming, but I think that saying good-bye is going to be pretty hard for these two. Sometimes all that a parent can do is say a little prayer that everything will be all right.  And it will be.  Amen.


No comments: