Saturday, October 19, 2013

Changes in the Air

October always brings changes that I am never quite ready for.  They are predicting scattered snow showers for tomorrow.  Yikes. I don't think that I'm ever ready for that first one.  Today the plan is to winterize some things around here.  So of course I'm at my computer instead of facing that!

First I have to share my photos from the last week or so.  These asters are still blooming in my garden...won't be for long!  This plant is in the backyard.


This one is in the front.  I want to go and buy some pumpkins and mums today.  I'll have to babysit them with predicted freezing temps next week...but they add so much color it's worth it.


The horses are growing their winter coats.


A dense blanket of fog covered the land at my mom's place last weekend.  Even the burdock were pretty.


Last Sunday was a beautiful Autumn day.  One of those days that felt like a gift.  We took a ride on the river boat on the St. Croix.  It was us and everyone else in the county it seemed.  A little too crowded for my comfort, but still a pretty ride.


The crowds made it tough to take pictures, but I got a few.  The one above are the rocks near Franconia, this one below is of the cross formation in the rocks that the St. Croix was named after.  So beautiful.


The birds at home have been really busy, flitting back and forth.  Hungry chickadees.  Some juncos have returned, that's fun to see.


I bought a bouquet of fall colored flowers for my table, the big gerbera daisy is my favorite.  Love the orange this time of year.


Our little kitten is growing quickly...and is in an attack stage apparently.  Kitten claws and teeth are sharp! Ouch!! Trimming little nails is on my list of things to do today.


Penny has accepted the kitten, Molly not so much yet.  Greta had curled up with Penny on Penny's bed...I had to snap a quick picture of that.  I happened to catch Penny licking her nose, but it looks like she's sticking her tongue out saying "yuck".  Greta likes Penny's wagging tail and to jump on her head.  We think it's entertaining...not so sure what Penny thinks about it.


The leaves are changing, fall is really in the air.  Time for me to get busy and do my share of winterizing.  Lawn furniture to put away, planters need to be taken in, screens taken off, bird feeders moved and refilled.


It's fall in Minnesota, winter is coming.  I'm not ready!  Are you?  Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: